Thursday, March 20, 2008

Weekend trip to California - Plus testing out packing light

Tomorrow I leave for California. I am going to try out some light packing that Tim Ferriss has talked about on his blog. Here is his post on light packing: Packing Light

I started by outlining the trip: Which consists of two nights three days, first night, Friday in Hollywood, Universal on Saturday and Huntington beach for body boarding and shopping on Sunday. Also to note about this trip, is this is the first time I have not planed the trip. I am usually the one to make the entire trip artinerary. So I am anxious to see how things go, and how well I can recoup from any unseen events that may happen. This is a test to see how well I can act on my toes.

I created a list of what I think I should pack which included,

Camera - Batteries
Sun Glasses
Beanie - For waking up and leaving quickly (also entering more formal events) I tend to not brush my hair on trips, but rather air it out. Quite relaxing
One pair of underwear (plus the pair I was wearing out)
Shoes - Broken in adidas (worn on the way out, used for universal studious)
Sandals (for the beach and light car travel)
One Pair of socks (worn on the way out)
Jeans (worn on the way out)
Swim trunks
Zip up cardigan
Two button up shirts
Two white t-shirts
Toothbrush - Wont need my own as I am traveling with my gf.
* No need for tooth paste as I know someone else will bring some
Deodorant
Contact case - filled with solution
Phone Charger

I then went back through the list to see what I really did need and what I could x out of the list to lighten the load. This was of importance because even though it is a short trip there will be minimal time where I will be staying in one spot (around a 10 hour buffer). This is the perfect opportunity to test out traveling light, verses necessities.
Here is the list I composed.

Camera
Beanie
Sunglasses
Shoes
Underwear
Shorts - To swim and also sleep in
One T-shirt
2 Button ups
Jeans
One Pair of socks
Sandals - only for the beach, light car travel
Deodorant
Contact case - with solution inside the case
Phone Charger

I will post up after the trip with some photos and full opinions on how the packing turned out for the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your well on your way to OCD.

Think of all of the time you've been wasting by taking fresh laundry with you on trips:)