Sunday, March 21, 2010

myspace, facebook outside observation of homepage conversion at a glance

A ton of studies and testing have been done on homepage conversion rates and how to optimize the numbers.  I wanted to apply some of this new found knowledge I have gained from Tim Ferriss and Frank Kern. 


So for my brief overview study I looked at two of the biggest social networking sites; Facebook and Myspace. 

 

Lets look at Facebook quick glance:

very clean homepage no scrolling. 

Sign up fields are clear and concise. 

What its about is clearly defined: Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at MySpace quick glance:

User must scoll in order to see all of the content

Sign up fields require a click to access

What its about is not clearly defined.

Homepage is busy and can be misleading

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not making the argument of which is better, that is personal opinion.  What I am trying to accomplish is the ability to exercise quick comparisions of what may be better converting homepages, using similar services as my side by side comparision.  Of course this is in a hypothetical situation that the user does not know what the service is about and has never heard about it, making them completely unqualified users. 

When we look at myspace we see a homepage that is distracting and lacks a specific identity or vision.  What they are "selling" and the direct benefits to me are also not apparent.  I am confussed at why I should sign up for this service and where I even need to go to sign up. 

Facebook, has a pretty clear message.  Sign up connect with friends and tell them about how great your life is.  Great, I think to myself im on board.  To the right are clear fields that once I fill in, I will instantly have access to this new found benefit (which I think is going to help me reconnect with people I know and of course make my life better).  There is no scolling or distracting images on the homepage.  Facebook's homepage instantly sells me and walks me easily through what I need to do to "change my life"

 

From this quick glance I feel it is pretty straight forward to which would prevail on a head to head comparison of conversion rates. 

 

 

 

 

Posted via web from chrislevy's posterous

No comments: